Menu

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reckless: Part 1 by Alice Ward

 
Reckless: Part 1

by Alice Ward

This is pretty much your typical girl meets bad boy book. A little different, but still the same idea. Andrea has her whole life's plan down to a T. Then she meets Jace. The rock star bad boy who shows up and turns her life upside-down. Whoa, never heard of a book like this before. (<- That was sarcasm)

There is a scene in the beginning of the book that made me furious. I'm glad I was able to get over it and finish the book. But honestly, I was really really close to ending the book then and there. Don't get me wrong, I am all for not objectifying women and women equality, but when she exploded in the coffee shop, I got got mad at her. She was rude and ridiculous. Jace was offering to buy Andrea and, her friend, Becca coffee, NOT buying her for the night. She exploded on him for no reason. Why is that considered sexy? Because she was dramatic? Ugh, Maybe that's why I'm single. Lol. 

But what makes me even angrier, is when after the Cafe scene she goes to his concert in a very strappy and revealing top. She wants to make him jealous by showing off her body. Which is counter-intuitive to what she did in the Cafe. She is objectifying her body, to make him jealous. Jealous of what; I have no idea. That was the point where I had to decide whether I was going to continue or not. That was horrible. Let's hope fellow readers and women don't find this acceptable behavior and expect a man to love them after it.

The first half of the book she is a fast-witted, strong woman, but after the concert she become a mushy dopey airhead. Why do people think women become brain dead after seeing a handsome man? Lol. 

Then Andrea's crazy boyfriend, Sean, comes into play. I get men wanting to be protective and territorial, but what he did was uncalled for, and then she takes him back! I can't even. You've got to be kidding me. I don't care if she was with him for a week or for four years; That behavior is never ok. Never. 

After all this ranting and issues with the book, I really did enjoy it. I like Andrea's determination to reach her dreams and goals, whether or not a boy is in the equation. Her dream > Boys. I love Becca. She is blunt, strong, and caring. I wish she could be my friend in real life. I would have loved to see and meet the band members or some of Jace's friends. He brings them up, but we never see them. It felt like Jace, Becca, Andrea, and Sean are the only characters existing in the entire Reckless book world. 

I enjoyed the realistic view of Jace and Andrea's, and Andrea and Sean's relationship. It was not overly idealized and fantastical. These relationships show how life can change on a whim. How people change over time; and how sometimes who you are with is not who you are meant to be with. Showing the difference between who you should love and who you do love.

As of right now, I will be reading Book 2. The last half of the book hooked my in and got better. This book is total cliffhanger. Be prepared. 

I know people hate books that have part 1 to part one million. Lol. But I like them. They are long-ish experts into the story, to see if you like it and want to invest your time in their world. I wish I could buy all the parts in a single physical copy (Hint Hint Alice Ward!) I have a feeling I will want to read this series over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment