Menu

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Make Comics Like the Pros by Greg Pak and Red Van Lente

I grew up reading graphic novels and manga with my bestie, Mimz. Pulling all-nighters reading and being on Gaia. Good times. I have always wanted to know how to make comics. Making comics has always intrigued me. Being an art student, I like to branch out my ideas, thought, dreams, and stories onto paper.  

Graphic novels and manga are like literary butterflies. I don't know why they are hated on so much. They have such vivid stories and characters, like any other book you would read. And they are visually entertaining, like a tv show. It's the best of both worlds. /rantover




Synopsis:


I liked this book. It was very thorough. I liked how they showed the process and development in the dialogue and writing sections. How it isn't writing one time and it's all perfect. It is a process with editors and friends double-checking each other ideas. How making a comic is team-based. Also, how everything is not permanent and set in stone. Scenes can change. Dialogue can change. Everything can change! You don't need to be afraid of perfection, but to word vomit and get your ideas out there. Shows these authors are not perfect, and that it took them many times and tons of practice to get where they are now. 

This book also shows some parts on the aesthetics view on comics. Shows you how to make proper dialogue bubbles, and where your characters should go. They show examples of how to create emphasis on certain scenes or characters. Its a good beginning book. I cant wait to take their advice in action! I liked this book and will probably share it with some fellow art students. 

Here is a look of some of the pages from inside the book: 
(I found these off google)



The one thing I didn't like was the font or the size of the font. Something was very off. I kept losing my spot, and needing reading breaks. I never have that problem. It was very wonky in my eyes. I think the font was too thin and tall. But that is totally subjective. 

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment