Menu

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sketch! by France Belleville-Van Stone

This book is not only for artists. It is for everyone. Any one who is curious about the art world. If even a little bit of you wants to learn how to draw or try something new, check this book out. Don't be discouraged about your level of your"art", we all have had to start from the beginning. 

Sketch! by France Belleville-Van Stone


For more images, videos, examples, and excerpts.

Synopsis:
While personally, her art isn't my style. I really enjoyed the book. I liked her ideas and thought process. She talks about how she started in the beginning and grew to where she is now. (I wish we could have seen some of those drawings). She tells us how in the beginning she was doing art that is considered "great art". Everyone wants to do "great art", But how can we justify what is "great art"?? She then realized she wants to do what she wants. 

Wether or not the world says its "great" or not. I mean, seriously, who can tell you wether your art is "great" or not?! It might not be great to one person, but It can be kick ass to others. Art is completely subjective. You're supposed to be having fun with it. Not feeling judged and worried about people liking or not liking it. /endrant

She shows different techniques and ideas. Though, if you're a beginner, I suggest you only grab some pencils and paper and DRAW. Don't worry about expensive supplies or perfection. Its about experimentation and having a blast! Finding your style and who you are. c: 


"And the more I drew, the less of a big deal drawing became. I no longer needed to be in the right mood, with the perfect lighting , or be in the right place. I drew everywhere" - Sketch! pg.5


Not going to lie, her images of examples intimidated me, and I am going for my BFA (Bachelors of Fine Arts). It's a good book to tell you to keep drawing; and never stop drawing. Overall this book is fun and shows different ways to art. And never stop practicing. You can never learn too much. By the time you think you learn everything in art, is when you realized you learned nothing. It's an ever growing experience. 


"The books offers no magic formulas and no shortcuts. There is no escaping the fact that drawing is about drawing. But the laborious process of growing as an artist does not necessarily equate to tedious assignments. There is where our every day life comes in, When you get into the habit of drawing you experience the joy of observation of contemplation, not just watching but seeing." -Sketch! pg. 13

Here is a look of some of the pages from inside the book: 
(I found these off google)

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment