Menu

Friday, December 26, 2014

Netflix -- The Tudors


If you're in to shows like Game of Thrones and Desperate Housewives, you will like this. Lot of drama, lust and death. (Disclaimer: this show is not for younger audiences, with multiple sex and nudity scenes. Also, some of the blood and execution scenes may make you queasy.) Being an art history major, I was able to tie in what I learned and really understand what was going on. Don't worry! You will understand what is happening without taking Art History courses. The classes helped me understand the roles of women during this age. My feminist side of me was yelling during all the episodes. "You don't need a man to complete yourself!!" I would never go back to any age of time before the 2000's.

Tudor Talk Time:
I loved all the queens. With them all being different I felt I was able to relate some to each of them. I became emotionally attached to all of them. They all wanted to be loved and make a difference in the world. Yet, during this time women were seen as the "sinful creatures" that bring the fall of man. (Ex: Eve ate the fruit of knowledge bring the fall of mankind).  There is the irony of the wife to be the virgin and the whore. Where the men want a wife that is pure with her "maidenhood", yet they also want her to be the best sex expert out there. How is a virgin to know everything about sex, without doing it? And if the men wanted the expert in sex, she wasn't deemed worthy because she slept around for experience. Its the ridiculous expectations for women. Not only that, but the men could have mistresses and sleep around. But, God-forbid if the woman slept with any other man. Totally objectifying women. Anyway, feminist rant over.

I loved loved loved all their costumes and jewelry. I wish we could go around wearing clothes like that today. The music was graceful and fit every moment. There were times I couldn't keep up because everyone talks to fast and uses these crazy elaborate names. Then suddenly King Henry will give a guy a promotion, having him get a new name. The saddest thing about the show was the amount of deaths that happened. In our classrooms we learn about these wars and memorize large amounts of death toll numbers, but when you bring it to reality, it was heartbreaking. People dying from others' lies. The people you thought you could trust, stab you in the back and get you killed. (Similar to Game of Thrones, with George RR Martin killing off every character.) Also, what was up with everyone signing treaties and ally papers and backing down on it every second? C'mon France, England,  and Emperor guy, get along or don't, make up your damn mind!

After watching so many seasons, I started to loath and bitterly hate King Henry. How dare he?! He is an incompetent and conceited ass. One minute he loves his queen then hates her. Ends up killing her, then wanting her back. Ridiculous. UGH. SO MAD. Also, he is so rude to his first daughter, Princess/Lady Mary. She is his true heir. She is a strong and independent female that will take no shit from no one. I loved her the most out of all the women. (Scary to think about that she becomes Queen 'Bloody Mary')

 

One of my favorite actors is Henry Cavill. (I just realized he is the new Superman, I must go and see that RIGHT NOW) He is soooo handsome. I swooned, in season 4, when he showed us his manly sword fighting skills. Can I order one of him for me? Haha. Even though his first marriage failed from him being a cheating ass. I loved how he developed on his second marriage. He made me feel hope, that during that era not everyone was whoring around. Some people were happy in love with their significant others. He even continued to love his wife and sleep with no one while they were fighting for several episodes. I really admire that. Finally, a semi-sane character.

So funny, I didn't realize I owned Season 1. I will probably watch it again and make some sketches.
Leave a comment below of who is/was your favorite character and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment